QUOTE (fast @ Sep 4 2005, 09:27 AM)
Hi, my fish has the same symtom for almost a week by now. I been using Parasite Clear for 3 day already with the 50% of water change. the fish is showing a white string poop. my question is should i force feed the fish or just wait because the fish hasn't eating anything for a week. i know he is going to die if he not eating. thank you for any help.
Parasite clear is not going to work.
If you can, put your sick fish into a smaller tank.
Depends on the size of the fish, but use the smallest tank that he can simply turn with ease.
You need a smaller tank so that you can change 100% of the water daily.
This is how I would treat:
1. Use only an air stone with lots of air output. You don't need filteration because you will be changing to clean water everyday. So water parameters shouldn't be a major problem.
2. Before you dump the meds in, add rock salt and slowly increase the temperture to as close to 90F as possible. You need to increase a couple of degrees per hour and add salt at the same time you increase the temp. I use as much as half cup per 10gal. If you don't have a heavy duty titanium heater with a controller, use the Ebo Jagars. Ebo 250 can reach 90F in smaller tanks under 30gal.
3. When your temp is stable at or near 90F, begin to treat with metro or dimetro. And double the dose recommended on the label. You can get the Seachem brand metro from Dr. FM. or got to Jemco to get in bulk.
4. For water change, premix the water in a plastic garbage can with aeration, same concentration of salt, and same temp.
5. If within a few treatments, the fish happens to show signs of serious distress, then you need to do a 50% water change with nonsalted water and no meds. When the fish is out of distress, continue with the brine and med treatment.
5. Change water and treat with this med everyday for 7 to 10 days.
6. Then slowly decrease your temp back to the same temp as the permanent home of the fish and put him back to his home.
7. Also during the 4th treatment, feed the fish one pellet. If he eats this pellet, then you can dillute some metro and soak the next few pellets in it before you feed him. But you still need to let him go through the whole 7-10 day treatment. This way the life cyle of the parasite is totally destroy. By far the best way to rid of internal parasite is to mix the med in food. It goes strait to the gut.
8. Meanwhile if his home is unoccupied, all you need to do is dump a bunch of salt in the aquarium and let it sit for a few day. I would go 4 cups per 10gal. Usually this much salinity will kill all fresh water worms and parasites. But remember to drain and fill with fresh water a few day before you put the fish back.