Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Cause Hexa White Poop
Flowerhorn USA > Flowerhorns & Hybrids > Dr. Cure! Diseases & Treatment
aerogear2000
over and over again it seems alot of us that have flower horn has this problem before, I really want to know what cause this problem how to avoid it, and how to treat it.

Thank you
flowerhorns.net
Causes: it's always there but not affecting the fish until cronic stress. (ie: moving from MY to US then from tank to tank,etc.)
It is a Protozoan bacteria found in the intestines and dormant in the poop until a viable (weak) host fish is found. Raise the temp to 88 degrees and clean out substrate and filter cartridges.(preferrably not at the same time; as this would kill all of your beneficial bacteria culture) Remove carbon/other from filter cartridges. Sprinkle some on it's food and re-freeze if bloodworms or moisten his pellets. And oh yeah, keep the water conditions extra clean.

According to Seachem: "Metronidazole is an effective and safe treatment for several protozoan and anaerobic bacterial diseases of fish (Cryptocaryon, Hexamita, Ichthyophthirius). It does not adversely affect the filter bed and is easily removed with carbon. There is little danger of overdosing. Usual dose is 125 mg/10 gallons.

Sizes: 5 g, 100 g

Types of Infections Treated
Parasitic Fungal Bacterial Viral
Metronidazole

DIRECTIONS: Use 1–2 measures (each about 100 mg) for every 40 L (10 gallons). Measurer included. Repeat every 2 days until symptoms disappear. Turn off UV, ozone, and chemical filtration. To feed, blend 1 measure with about 1 tablespoon of frozen food paste. To minimize loss during feeding use with Focus™. Food may be refrozen."

Where to buy? Got that too: http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/F6...0/Itemdy00.aspx

I've heard of success with Parasite Clear (Jungle product name) It's ingredients are: Dimethyl Phosphate, N-2, 6-Diflourobenzamide, Metronidazole and Acriflavin.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/pa...5/Itemdy00.aspx

Whatever you buy; buy enough to last a long time! Sometimes no overnight success like you may think.
armac
Very Good question and answer, I am treating a SRT as we speak. I think the best way to treat a fish is in a bucket with an airstone and a heater, you do not use much medicine. Easy to monitor how your fish is doing, just change a little water everyday before you treat the water. With 5 gallon bucket you will need 1/2 of a pill of metro 4.gif Also remember to bump your temp up to 90 or above. thumbsup.gif
whoa!luohan
I see. So it's safe to treat my fish with metro even if I'm not sure if he's sick or not.

Why didn't I see this post before.I lost sleep worrying about my previously neglected fish. lol

Thanks.
Ardie21
hey guys im frm the philippines and my fh is affected with hexa and its been a week now since he was infected by that certain disease, and you know that one of the signs and symptoms of that disease is the loss of appetite and im really alrmed coz it might weaken my fish and cn cause complications in the near future and probably death, when i bought my it is really very active and healty but know after a week its very thin and its color have turned very dark, it doesnt even look like a fh now, my friends thought that it was a tilapia. That fish is very costly to die coz ive spent a lot of many for that, plz help me guys. ive read that one of the best treatment is metronidazole, and i found out that their are to form of metro, a tablet and a syrup, wats the best form to give for fast acting rsults, is it the tablet form or the liquid form!!!!!!
blizz86
i fed my first fish two feeders for the trill same thing happened
sometimes it is just becuz its the bones or messed w/ digestive system (ex:intestines)
Ardie21
how long will the treatment last, coz i already pitty the my fish, and because of that i want to perfom euthanasia, to shorten the sufferings, hes not eating for almost a week now.
jake280
iam currently useing cloud med. does anyone know if this kind of med works good for this diease? and also would hexma affect any other fishes in the tank??
HighFive
QUOTE (jake280 @ Aug 23 2005, 07:27 PM)
iam currently useing cloud med. does anyone know if this kind of med works good for this diease? and also would hexma affect any other fishes in the tank??

Yes, Clout is indeed the medication for use on this case as it is strong and has been proven time and again that it works. Good luck and do keep us posted.

Marc
jake280
i see white stringy poop, but my fl never lost his appetite and is eating and swiming just fine. should i be worried? blink.gif
Round Head
QUOTE (jake280 @ Aug 27 2005, 10:53 PM)
i see white stringy poop, but my fl never lost his appetite and is eating and swiming just fine. should i be worried?  blink.gif

Jake,
If your fish has a good appetite, then don't worry about it.
Nothing is wrong with him.
Don't turn him into a junky man. 33.gif
Too many people got the attitude about meds like they would take prescription antibiotics for a minor headache.

Let me try to explain the bad white poop for you.
This symptom is very common for discus.
They seem to have it every now and then.
The white poop looks like a clear noodle that would hang on to the fish's anus for along time and the fish would swim with it for hours at times.
This is actually the intestianl wall lining that is being secreated due to heavy parasite infestation; usually hex. a protozoa.
When this happens, the fish will no longer accept food as his guts is very sore.
So if your fish is eating good, then your fish is doing fine.
Change to a different food and see what happens.

Good Luck.
jake280
QUOTE (Round Head @ Aug 27 2005, 11:13 PM)
QUOTE (jake280 @ Aug 27 2005, 10:53 PM)
i see white stringy poop, but my fl never lost his appetite and is eating and swiming just fine. should i be worried?  blink.gif

Jake,
If your fish has a good appetite, then don't worry about it.
Nothing is wrong with him.
Don't turn him into a junky man. 33.gif
Too many people got the attitude about meds like they would take prescription antibiotics for a minor headache.

Let me try to explain the bad white poop for you.
This symptom is very common for discus.
They seem to have it every now and then.
The white poop looks like a clear noodle that would hang on to the fish's anus for along time and the fish would swim with it for hours at times.
This is actually the intestianl wall lining that is being secreated due to heavy parasite infestation; usually hex. a protozoa.
When this happens, the fish will no longer accept food as his guts is very sore.
So if your fish is eating good, then your fish is doing fine.
Change to a different food and see what happens.

Good Luck.

thanks for the info round head, so i shouldnt be worried? i mean would it get worse shouldnt i try to cure it? and i also have another fh in the same tank with him. just two fishes would it spread? right now the other one seems to be fine.
Round Head
No worries. 45.gif
Since he is eating well, there is nothing wrong with him.
Using random medication is not a good thing.
But is he pooping this stuff all the time?
Can you post a picture; close-up 50.gif shot if possible?
fast
Hi, my fish has the same symtom for almost a week by now. I been using Parasite Clear for 3 day already with the 50% of water change. the fish is showing a white string poop. my question is should i force feed the fish or just wait because the fish hasn't eating anything for a week. i know he is going to die if he not eating. thank you for any help.
Round Head
QUOTE (fast @ Sep 4 2005, 09:27 AM)
Hi, my fish has the same symtom for almost a week by now. I been using Parasite Clear for 3 day already with the 50% of water change. the fish is showing a white string poop. my question is should i force feed the fish or just wait because the fish hasn't eating anything for a week. i know he is going to die if he not eating. thank you for any help.

fast,
Parasite clear is not going to work.
If you can, put your sick fish into a smaller tank.
Depends on the size of the fish, but use the smallest tank that he can simply turn with ease.
You need a smaller tank so that you can change 100% of the water daily.

This is how I would treat:
1. Use only an air stone with lots of air output. You don't need filteration because you will be changing to clean water everyday. So water parameters shouldn't be a major problem.
2. Before you dump the meds in, add rock salt and slowly increase the temperture to as close to 90F as possible. You need to increase a couple of degrees per hour and add salt at the same time you increase the temp. I use as much as half cup per 10gal. If you don't have a heavy duty titanium heater with a controller, use the Ebo Jagars. Ebo 250 can reach 90F in smaller tanks under 30gal.
3. When your temp is stable at or near 90F, begin to treat with metro or dimetro. And double the dose recommended on the label. You can get the Seachem brand metro from Dr. FM. or got to Jemco to get in bulk.
4. For water change, premix the water in a plastic garbage can with aeration, same concentration of salt, and same temp.
5. If within a few treatments, the fish happens to show signs of serious distress, then you need to do a 50% water change with nonsalted water and no meds. When the fish is out of distress, continue with the brine and med treatment.
5. Change water and treat with this med everyday for 7 to 10 days.
6. Then slowly decrease your temp back to the same temp as the permanent home of the fish and put him back to his home.
7. Also during the 4th treatment, feed the fish one pellet. If he eats this pellet, then you can dillute some metro and soak the next few pellets in it before you feed him. But you still need to let him go through the whole 7-10 day treatment. This way the life cyle of the parasite is totally destroy. By far the best way to rid of internal parasite is to mix the med in food. It goes strait to the gut.
8. Meanwhile if his home is unoccupied, all you need to do is dump a bunch of salt in the aquarium and let it sit for a few day. I would go 4 cups per 10gal. Usually this much salinity will kill all fresh water worms and parasites. But remember to drain and fill with fresh water a few day before you put the fish back.

Good Luck.
TheManaguenseManiac317
thats sounds like a great reply bilbo. I also loved the closing Rarefish pacifist philosophy in the end thumbsup.gif

I never really had a peoblem with my fish getting sick just until a few weeks before i left to Nicaragua. So, im trying to learn from everyone on treating fish disease, and parasites!! The best way to know is to experience first hand, that type of experience is priceless!!
Round Head
Excellent suggestion Bilbo.
Heat and salt is what cure 99% of the problems for me. I rarely use med. Only if H&S don't help. One other major problem with meds is that people tend not to go through the whole treatment. Instead they stop the treatment when they see the fish feel better. This is bad because the parasites/bacteria life cycle is not irradicated from the fish system and become imune to the medication.
volcomstone
seeing the same problem with my FH.

Hopefully the Metro, Salt, and raising the temp will work out.
NiceFishHomie
very informative..

wait till all my friends hear about this....they'll all think that I'm some kind of fish doctor..

biggrin.gif
Mic
kool... looks like very useful infos... i took some notes
HKN
LOTS OF GOOD READ....
KyleHonda
can you also use melifex, salt rocks, and water changes to cure hexi?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.
CommunitySEO 1.2.3 © 2014  IPB SEO Module